Friday 21 September 2012

Day 2

I did it. Today I went for my first run. I started using the couch to 5K program, but I had already done some of it at the beginning of the summer. So against all reason, I started at week 4. Now this might not seem too crazy, but for me running 5 minutes at a time right now is a lot of work! My legs start to burn like crazy and I feel like I am just going to topple over. By the time I did my cool down and was walking up to my house I could hardly put one foot in front of the other, I was that tired. Part of me says it was because I hadn't eaten dinner yet, but mostly it was because I pushed myself so hard. I love it though, this feeling that I have right now, the natural high, this is the ONLY reason that I even consider running. Without this feeling of satisfaction and burst of endorphins, I would not do this.

Now the hard part is keeping to this plan. I once read somewhere that it takes 4 weeks to make something into a habit. So with that in mind I figure the first month will be killer, but that's okay... at least there won't be snow until after this month or else I would never get out to run! I do in fact hope to miss the snow completely and be in England before it comes. That's going to be the other hard part of this training, running in a foreign country. I think I can do it though, just tell myself it's speed sightseeing!

Tomorrow will bring the first of my cross training days, and I think that I will make them strength training days. I need to strengthen my core to help my legs and work on my weaker left leg, and maybe I won't want to fall over in a month!

No comments:

Post a Comment